Shika Na Mikono
Shika na Mikono (“grasp with your hands”) is a committee of education volunteers dedicated to promoting hands-on science education in Tanzania using locally available materials. We are involved in training both new volunteers and Tanzanian teachers on how to incorporate hands-on science activities in the classroom. We are also editing and updating a series of publications dedicated to making hands-on science education as straightforward as possible. The most updated versions of those publications are available for download below.
We are always looking for input from other PCVs (and the larger Tanzanian education community). Getting involved, from simply submitting an idea for a great activity for any topic in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics, to becoming a full-fledged Shika na Mikono member, is highly appreciated. Here’s a basic list of things you can do to get involved, and how to do them.
- Sign up to be part of the Shika Extension group. These volunteers will help out with trainings and conferences in their region, add content to the manuals, and leading Shika type events at their site. This is a great way to show your interest in potentially becoming a Shika na Mikono committee member later on. Contact a committee member or send an email to ShikaMikonoTZ@gmail.com.
- Submit an idea to be added to any of the Shika manuals, or suggestions for changes. Download the Word form, fill it out, and send it to our email ShikaMikonoTZ@gmail.com.
- Put the Shika resources to use; increase your use of hands-on activities in the classroom, organize a science club at your school, or place a science related conference in your region. Contact a committee member – they can help out if you need it, or just love hearing about a successful hands-on science experience!
We want to hear from you!
- Contact a committee members (names and contact info are available at the bottom of this page if you are signed in).
- Send us an email at ShikaMikonoTZ@gmail.com
- Check us out on Facebook. Search “Shika na Mikono.” Like us (we’re very insecure), comment on our wall, message us, or just see what we’ve been up to and check out some great pictures.
Resources and Files
Shika Math 2016 Manual
2016 updated version of our Shika na Mikono Hands-on Math teaching manual.
Shika Physics 2016 Manual
The critically acclaimed Shika Physics manual is back in 2016, more complete and awesome than ever before. Available for the low low price of clicking the link to the left.
Shika Chemisty 2016 Manual
2016 updated version of our Shika na Mikono Hands-on Chemistry teaching manual. Remember to wear your safety googles!
Shika Biology 2016 Manual
2016 updated version of our Shika na Mikono Hands-on Biology teaching manual.
Math NECTA Overview
Mystified by the Math NECTA? Well punguza that mystique kidogo with this convenient Math NECTA overview.
|Shika na Mikono Application (doc)||This is the application for Shika Na Mikono, please check the Weekly Update first to confirm the timeframe in which we will be taking applications|
|Shika na Mikono Manual (pdf)||The main manual, with information on setting up a lab, lab safety, preparing chemicals, easy classroom activities and demos, how to set up a NECTA practical, and much more.|
|Locally Available Science Materials Manual - Biology (pdf)||This manual, specific to biology, has information on getting lab equipment, sources of chemicals and solutions, collecting specimens, and lots of activities organized by topic, all using locally available materials.|
|Locally Available Science Materials Manual - Chemistry (pdf)||This manual, specific to chemistry, has information on getting lab equipment, sources of chemicals and solutions, and lots of activities organized by topic, all using locally available materials.|
|Locally Available Science Materials Manual - Physics (pdf)||This manual, specific to physics, has information on getting and checking lab equipment and lots of activities organized by topic, all using locally available materials.|
|Hands on Math Manual (pdf)||This manual is for all things related to teaching mathematics in Tanzania. Common issues, sources of materials, and activities organized by form and topic.|
|Shika Express - Biology (pdf)|
|Shika Express - Chemistry (pdf)|
|Shika Express - Physics (pdf)|
|NECTA Breakdowns (zip)|
|NECTA Math Problem Sheets (zip)|
|General Test Taking Tips - English (.docx)|
|General Test Taking Tips - Swahili (.docx)|
|Study Guides (zip)|
|Student Practical Worksheets - Biology (Word doc)||Worksheets you can print out (or just copy) and students can fill out while completing NECTA stype practicals.|
|Student Practical Worksheets - Chemistry (Word doc)||Worksheets you can print out (or just copy) and students can fill out while completing NECTA stype practicals.|
|Classification - Specimen List (docx)|
|Food Test Activity Sheets (docx)|
|Qualitative Analysis Guidesheet (.doc)|
|Student Practical Worksheets - Physics (Word doc)||Worksheets you can print out (or just copy) and students can fill out while completing NECTA stype practicals.|
More resources, past exam papers, National Exam results, and much more, check out http://maktaba.tetea.org/. Site started and run by RPCVs.
Contact info for the Shika na Mikono committee members appears below if you're logged in.