Phones and Internet
Internet & Data Bundles
The following link is to a wikia site that contains current information on bundles, internet apns, and coverage details for all Tanzania cell networks.
Here is a list for the USSD codes to buy bundles for the cell networks in Tanzania.
- Vodacom *149*01#
- Airtel *149*99#
- Tigo *148*00#
- Zantel *149*15# (*149*07# for internet only)
- Halotel *148*66# (*148*55# for University Sims)
Though most smart phones can be used as hot spots, some volunteers prefer USB Modems. Most modems are specific to the network carrier from which they are purchased and usually cost ~40,000 TZS. Modems that work with multiple phone carrier networks can be found in a few cities and start around 80,000 TZS. Special data bundles that are meant to lower the cost per KB used through the modem are available from most mobile carriers.
- What's App (GooglePlay/AppStore)
- Group messaging, end-to-end encryption, free data calling worldwide. Get it get it get it!
- Maps.me (GooglePlay/AppStore)
- Offline road maps!
- Panda USB Vaccine (Windows)
- This is a ‘vaccine' for removable USB devices, preventing the AutoRun file from becoming a source of infection. Very handy for anyone sharing files in TZ.
- My Data Manager (GooglePlay)
- Tired of not knowing how much data you have left or if your plan has expired? Save some tsh and download this app to track your data plan.
Internet cafes are becoming more rare across the towns and cities in Tanzania. If you can find one, the rates usually start at 500 Tanzanian shillings (TZS) per half hour and increase from there depending on the cafe. Most volunteers with personal computers can connect using their own computer either by bringing it to an internet cafe. Honestly, if you need the internet, purchase a wireless modem w/ SIM card for your computer.
Protecting your Internet Accounts
|Facebook SmartCard||Twitter SmartCard||LinkedIn SmartCard|
|Google+ SmartCard||Facebook Privacy Checklist||Social Media - What to Post|
|Social Media Brochure||Geotagging Checklist|
Also to protect All Your Things check out preyprotector.com!